Sustainable travel means finding a way that travel and tourism can be maintained long-term, without causing harm to both natural and cultural environments. It is about valuing our natural resources and choosing the greenest and most environmentally friendly way of travelling. Train travel is one of the most sustainable means of travel, as trains emit up to 75% less carbon compared to cars and aeroplanes. International Rail are dedicated to finding the very best rail tickets and passes across the world, so that we can encourage our customers, wherever possible, to think green, avoid the plane and take the train.
International Rail are driven by the desire to be socially responsible and minimise our impact on the environment. We are fully committed to promoting sustainability and we constantly push to ensure that the needs of our clients, along with the wider population are met, without compromising future generations. We aim to promote good sustainability practice and we are dedicated to reducing our environmental footprint. International Rail have many initiatives in place to fulfil this.
Our sustainability policy is based upon the following principles:
- To comply with all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
- To minimise the environmental impact of all aspects of our business operations.
- To identify and implement savings in our energy use, wherever practicable and to purchase electricity from a supplier committed to renewable energy.
- To minimise business-related travel and promote the use of public transport wherever practicable and to encourage staff to work from home.
- To request meetings with our clients to be via conference calls, video conferencing or webcams so that travel is not required.
- To maintain the bike-purchase scheme for all our employees and encourage those who live locally to cycle or walk to work.
- To recycle office material wherever possible to include paper, computer supplies and redundant equipment and to identifying opportunities to reduce waste.
- To eliminate the use of single-use plastics within our office.
- To use responsible delivery companies who have comprehensive sustainability policies in place.
- To ensure that all staff are fully aware of our sustainability policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
- To review our sustainability policy annually and to continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
International Rail’s management team has ultimate responsibility for ensuring our policy is implemented across the company and has also appointed a representative in our offices to provide day to day support.